05 March 2010

41. write thank you notes to everyone for one Christmas

It seldom happens that I am moved to complain about too many people loving me. After all, hermits generally collect few people. There's my family and then a handful of others who count as additional kin, although they by some oversight do not share my blood. Last Christmas was slightly atypical. A dedicated hermit might have called it an orgy of togetherness. So the job was harder than anticipated. The final note count was 17. Just yesterday morning my momma appeared in my house and I handed off the last three for delivery.

It was an awkward and awarding experience. Sometimes people would dig out the card and read it while I stood there. (I thought they were supposed to tuck it away and read it when I am safely out of range? Okay, so that might be convention only in my own head, but it's uncomfortable to stand by while someone reads what I wrote to them. For one thing, I don't remember what I've written. For another, the bonus of writing a note is that it's so private even the source of the communication isn't around to observe the reaction. I like notes specifically because they allow uncensored reactions, and these people made me watch! Gah!) But I got a lot of hugs out of it, and it was a more colourful way to say thank you. Since then I've been given a couple of thank you notes in return, and how I love them. If others take it the same way, written thanks is a habit I want to continue.

Special thanks to Sera, who designed and produced the cards I used. They were gorgeous. I was so tempted to use one of them for her note, because they are lovely in a way that crayon art (my chosen method) can never be.

1 comment:

  1. Ah... well. Did you know I really appreciated the crayon drawing because it meant you had made it specially for me? Yeah. I felt very special to receive that custom version of your thank you card. :)

    I'm so happy to find your blog(s)! I have been inspired, and don't know what to write, but you have inspired me to do so anyway. So... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete