04 May 2010

54. milk a goat

Alert readers may have noted that item 54. has not always been "Milk a goat." It used to be "Kill and help prepare a chicken." I have not done this. (Well think about it. Would you want to?) It appeared on the list because I wanted to experience some skill related to animals which become food. Several things might have accomplished this. Killing a chicken was one; catching and cleaning a fish was another; and milking a goat also counts. As a result of my goat milking stint I now play with the idea of some day keeping goats. No number of dead chickens could convince me that I wanted to keep chickens, so I think the change in item 54. is warranted.

It was . . . wonderful. Milking a goat as a novice was like a water fight, except the ammunition was warm milk and I was both aggressor and victim. Working my fingers the right way took concentration, as did learning to feel the flow of milk and getting the timing. It was unlike anything that would come up in the typical education. So there is a world outside of and untouched by academia. Now to find more of it . . .

I am indebted to a few people for this one. Thanks to Ryan, who took me to where the goats are, and Candy, the goat keeper and my milking mentor. She was the most patient of teachers and shared freely about her goats and what she's learned from and about them over the years. Warmest thanks to the spectacular Olsen family, who housed and fed me for several days, generously showed me around their enchanting homestead style property, and made me feel very welcome. They were the kindest of hosts and easy friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment