19 April 2010

92. for one month read one conference talk per day

This one causes me to question how much compromise is acceptable in completing an item. What if you don't pull it off with exactness? What if the final product is a little slipshod? What if your efforts, like yourself, were almost good enough but not quite? What if you came so close and it was snatched from you by a crowded Friday, a careless moment that happened to stretch 24 hours?

Perhaps I should explain before I continue with my histrionics. I read a talk a day the length of the month, but there are three missed days mixed in. Since my month ended just as General Conference began, I capped my thirty odd days with eight hours of conference talks over two days. I figure I should get full credit for item 92. I more than made up the time I missed.

This is what I say to justify myself. But that's too easy, too permissive. I would have listened to General Conference without having it on a list somewhere, and the thing that was on a list I didn't get done as specified. There are still those missing three days. Do I force myself to start over from scratch? Do I assign myself a penalty for each day missed and grant myself title to another satisfied requirement only after the penalty has been paid? How far do these things stretch? I have had enough of the permissive society. (Trevor, I'm counting on you to place this reference.)

Executive decision: it's done, it's over, and I can get back to reading in the Old Testament. (Stop that cringing, girl. Be a man, get on with it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment